Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Oh How I Hate Ohio State, but made a quilt in their colors



This quilt was probably made in 1982 or 1983. I made it for Barbie and Dave (pictured, I'm on the right) and they were married February 27, 1982. Only for these two would I have made a quilt in scarlet and gray. I grew up outside of Ann Arbor, Michigan, so I bleed maize and blue.




I’m pretty sure that this is not an official pattern like Trip Around the World. I just cut out the pieces (still using a cardboard template) and laid the pieces out on the guest bed.  Sewed it together and then quilted it using the tie method. Instead of using quilt binding, I binded it using the method where the backing is big enough so that it can be folded over to become the binding.

If you look carefully, there is one square that it not like the others. I ran out of that fabric. One square short! My mother suggested I do a cross-stitch square to personalize it for Barbie and Dave.

A couple years later, I made a baby quilt for their son John. I went to buy more fabric, but couldn’t find the fabric or even the colors to go with this quilt. It was my first lesson that quilt fabrics change just like clothing styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment